Friday, August 5, 2011

August 4th, 2011

So how many people can say that they have sat in the President of the IOC’s chair in his office? Well I can say I have! (IOC= International Olympic Committee for those of you who don’t know). The whole day today consisted with us visiting the IOC and it’s multiple buildings. They explained the way they operate, new operations, and new advancements and movements with the Olympic Movement. It was very interesting. I learned that there was the first Youth Olympic Games in Singapore this last year for athletes between the ages of 15-19. This is a great movement especially for gymnast since their careers are normally shorter than most athletes. They gave a tour of the main building and that is when I got to see the President’s office and sit in his chair! I felt so special!



After the tour, we walk and what is waiting for us? Three Mercedes Mini-vans with black out tent! I didn’t even know Mercedes made mini-vans! It was like we were in the CIA or something. We all had drivers and got in the cars and were transported to the IOC Museum to eat lunch while sitting on Lake Lausanne. The food was delicious and the view was amazing. Following lunch, we were given a tour of the Olympic museum. It wasn’t too different from the other museum in Cologne except for the fact that they are the official museum for the Olympics so they have all of the medals and torch’s which was very cool to see. Hey mom, want to know the most ridiculous news yet? The Gymnaestrada was here three weeks ago! I knew it was in Switzerland but I didn’t know it was in the same city I was going to be going to three weeks later! They still have posters up everywhere and it makes me so mad I missed them!!! Another cool fact I found out at lunch after talking to the lady that gave us a presentation at lunch was that they had to drop the Chinese gymnast case with the gymnasts on age because they could not find any files or proof for those gymnasts. As we all know China does not keep track of people like the other countries do and that is why there was nothing that came of those young girls.




The day concluded with us walking along the lakeside taking a ton of pictures and drinking and eating. We were serenaded by this young band which was so enjoyable along with the fabulous weather. There are so many fun places for kids to play along the water and everyone just sits on the edge and drinks wine or beer and just relaxes. I love it! I also had a funny moment with a guy who was showing off by walking on his hands- with horrible form I might add- and everyone convinced me to go show him how it was done and I definitely did! It was so fun. We grabbed hamburgers for dinner from a local bar/restaurant and headed home for sleep! It was a fabulous day.



No comments:

Post a Comment