Monday, August 1, 2011

July 31st- August 1st, 2011

Okay so it is Monday night right now and I just had the best meal here so far. More about that later. Yesterday, Sunday, was amazing. We got to sleep in- I think I got close to ten our eleven hours of sleep, which is the most I have gotten in one night here. After I woke up to a cool breeze a group of us went for a run on the Rhine. It was the best running weather: a little over-cast with a cool breeze and probably 60 degrees. I think we ran for at least 30 minutes if not more. We came back and showered and by that time it was already Linner time (between lunch and dinner). We ate at a fantastic restaurant called Spitz and Caitlin put a “megashnitzel” to shame. Even the waitress made a comment on how impressed she was. After lunch a group of us set out for desert- ice cream, cake, brownies- got to love the fat ass Americans. I concocted the best desert I have had here yet. We went to Starbucks and they actually had brownies. In case you were wondering, people in Germany don’t like/eat brownies so of course Starbucks pulled through for us. Not only did Starbucks pull through but the guy working even heated up my brownie and then gave it to me for free. So I decided to head over to the Gelato place and ask for one scoop of vanilla in a big cup. I took out the ice cream, put the hot brownie on the bottom, and but the vanilla ice cream back on top. BEST IDEA EVER. It was absolutely delicious. We headed back to the dorms for the rest of the afternoon and I got some laundry done and began sort of packing all of my stuff up. I ran into some nausea and later in the night and I honestly think it is my stomach’s way of telling me it is over all of the heavy food. I am so ready to have American food.

Today, Monday, began with our last bit of presentations that we had left followed by one done by Dr. Batista. We got out of lunch early, thanks to Dr. Batista, because it was finally sunny here! I think this was the first day in 2 and a half weeks that we have seen sun in Bonn so he let us have a lunch break from 11:30-3:00 to enjoy it. A group of us sat outside an Italian restaurant and soaked up the sun. It was amazing. Following lunch, we all met back up to go to the Beethoven Museum. This museum is in the center of Bonn basically and it was the house where the composer Beethoven was born. I actually got to see the actual room- pretty crazy. I also got to see a lot of his instruments that he actually played on and learned his life story- especially the life before he began composing in Vienna, Italy. Our tour guide was quite entertaining and probably the most enthusiastic tour guide that we have had yet. Unfortunately, they did not allow us to take any pictures so I only snagged some of the outside. It was still pretty interesting though. Did you know that Beethoven was a servant here in Bonn for the church and Chancellor (I think that is the correct person) and he was used by his family to make money using his musical talents? That is why we moved and relocated to Vienna because he wanted to compose and play for himself- not someone else. He also went deaf at the age of 28 and completed a Symphony with singing while deaf at the age of 58. Pretty impressive if you ask me.



Dinner for tonight was definitely the highlight of my day. We finally made it to this burger joint that has odd hours and it was open for once tonight! Let me tell you- these are American burgers with American fries and it was delicious. I felt like I was right back at home- except for maybe the ordering the food part. We lucked out though, and one of the student workers from the AIB just so happened to be getting food from there too and she helped us order and get our food and sat and had dinner with us. It’s always so fun for me to sit and talk to people and get their unique life story. Tonight I probably should have done more packing but that can always wait until tomorrow. We leave Wednesday morning for Switzerland which means tomorrow is our last day in Bonn. It is so sad how fast this trip flew by. After Switzerland we finish our trip in Munich. Hopefully I will have internet to keep everyone updated! Eight days left to live it up in Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment