Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 28th, 2011

So how does one fathom getting up at 7 when class doesn't even start until 9? Let’s start with the unnecessary sunlight that comes beaming in at 5:30. So I was up at 7 this morning to get ready for class at 9. The first two hours of class consisted of German language and culture class- the last time we have to have that class the rest of this trip!! Yay! It’s nice to learn the language and such but it’s a hard language and I my two year old attention span can’t handle two hours of German. After that class, we had another presentation day. Michelle and I kicked them off with our presentation on the IPC, or International Paralympics Committee. It went swell and we were followed by three more presentations by our peers.

The presentations ended early which allotted time to head home, change into business casual, and grab a quick bite to eat. What was on the menu today? A delicious wheat English muffin sandwich with frozen turkey meat because our refrigerator was set too cold and salami and shredded mozzarella. We sure are getting creative over here. If you throw in a few Pringles and some M&M’s my lunch was made! After lunch we wall saddled up and headed the International Paralympics Committee, which headquarters for the entire world are stationed here in Bonn! The presentation was amazing and the guy, Bart, allowed us to ask plenty of questions and pick his brain. I think a bunch of us were interested in the Paralympics after today’s visit. I think I am going to look into being a volunteer in the US. Their motives and incentives for a business were amazing and it is operated as crookedly as the IOC (International Olympic Committee). The IPC is a non-profit organization that allows athletes that have some physical or mental injury in which prevents them from being able to compete like a regular athlete. There are 20 summer sports and 5 winter sports offered for the athletes. I also found out the IPC has been a large movement in China’s perception of disabled development. China, as most of us know, looks strongly down upon disabled people. Well, after the 2008 Olympics in Beijing the Paralympics were held two weeks later, as they are always held two weeks after the Olympics. This massive event brought a lot of positive attention to disabled people and since the Paralympics, the idea and perception has really begun to change. This presentation of course was very intriguing to me and hopefully it is a spark to nice bonfire in my life.



Beijing Paralympics 2008 Video

After our nice visit, the best part of the day approached. WE GOT TO VISIT THE HARIBO FACTORY STORE! It was like being a five year-old kid on Christmas morning but almost better! The place was huge and smelled like a candy wonderland! I was in heaven. I think I may have gotten too much stuff but oh well, you only live once right? Especially in a Haribo store in Germany. For those of you that don’t know what Haribo is, the company is famous for its Gummy Bears. I got some presents and even some fun little socks for me that say Haribo. I just couldn’t resist. I also may or may not have gotten Morgan Taylor Crabtree’s 21st birthday present there! I kind of had a hey day! We got some fabulous pictures outside the store and then headed down the street to the Germany version of Speck’s liquor store. I got some good German Rhine Wine and some good “American” chips- or so the bag says.




Overall today was fabulous- at least the ending was! I think the trick now is going to be getting all of the Haribo back before I eat it all! J Just kidding I would come back fatter than Jared from Subway if I did that! I can’t wait to bring it all back for everyone to try! (Especially you Morgan!)

No comments:

Post a Comment