Monday, July 11, 2011

July 11th, 2011

Today was the first day of class. YAY…not. It actually wasn’t too bad. We had three short lectures and began working on our project. Once twelve came we all high tailed it out of there to go eat lunch and rummage through the town. I went and saw my food boyfriend Mamet and got another doner from him. It was delicious as always. Apparently when the girls went yesterday he was asking for me. How sweet. After lunch, Rainer (the founder and owner of the AIB) took us on a history tour of Bonn. It was interesting to find out that a portion of the city of Bonn was built on Roman ruins. So we went underneath the Catholic seminary school where a roman heater and pool was still left. The Germans do a really good job of preserving history and ruins.

Roman Ruins- this was the heater.

Following the tour, a group of us girls went and pitched in and bought a straightner together so we could straighten our hair for the first time since we have been here! I am super excited for that. We also made it to a bank but I couldn’t get my money out for some reason. I guess I will work on that tomorrow.
The next best thing today: THE GROCERY STORE! We actually got to go to a real grocery store today and it was amazing. I got peanut butter, chips, m&m’s, peaches, and English muffins to name a few things. I can officially snack again. I have come to the conclusion that snacking is what keeps Americans fat and Europeans skinny. They don’t snack here. It was super nice too because it was a 20 minute walk there and a lady noticed we were students and she offered us a ride home. Turns out she used to work for the AIB and she knows Dr. Batista. It was pretty sweet.

The Famously Amazing Grocery Store

We officially have our entire trip to Paris for this weekend planned with housing and transportation along with a Fat Tire Bike Tour on Saturday night. It will consist of a four hour bike ride through Paris starting at 7. Apparently it is breathtaking and group of Aggies run the tours. We have also hopefully found our means of transportation to Prague. Hopefully that follows through to tomorrow.

The fruit market- had an amazing peach there today.

Having a more low key day was nice after our athletic extravaganza this past weekend. If anyone who is reading this knows any tips of getting bags of ice or a knee-brace for my swollen and throbbing knee send your suggestions my way. It is obvious that ice is a luxury in Europe and I could really use some to reduce the swelling!

Fun fact of the day: The professors of the University of Bonn are each allowed one cow to graze in the courtyard as a benefit for working for the University. The funny thing is no one takes advantage of it.

Funny quote of the day: “I’m sorry sir, you’re going to have to check that package. It’s definitely too big to carry on.” Cameron’s comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment