Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 20th, 2011

Oh German class. What a great way to start the day. Two hours of German language and culture is not pleasant in the morning! After German class we took a train back to Cologne to go see the Lanxess Arena. We got to eat lunch in the Arena’s restaurant and had Weinershnitzel again! I think I am good on Weinershnitzel for a couple of meals considering I have had it quite a few times lately! But following lunch we got a tour of the entire arena by the Head of PR guy for the Lanxess Arena! We were shown the loading dock, the path for the ice hockey team- they made a special path so that their blades on their skates wouldn't get messed up going on and off the ice. I got a picture in the doping room which has mirrors all around so that no one can sneak some extra urine in to pass a test. We were also shown the locker rooms and got to go onto the Arena floor as well as sit in the highest seat of the Arena. The arena holds about 20,000 spectators and is home to the Cologne Sharks Ice Hockey team, as well as UFC fights, Concerts, Forums, and any time of Entertainment or shows. We learned a little about the leasing process of the Arena and how different contracts work. We also got to stand in the exact spot of Lady Gaga’s dressing room when she performed there a year ago! Super cool!




I also loved the fact that Michelle found a poster advertising that Britney Spears was coming in October. Conveniently she loves Britney and wanted a poster super bad so I ran up to the guy as we were walking and she wasn’t paying attention and asked him if he could get me one for her. Of course he said yes and then I asked him to say no when she asked him- because of course I had convinced her to ask him! So once we got into one of the lounged where he presented us with a presentation and videos we concluded the tour. Michelle went up to him and asked him for one and he straight up said no. You should have seen the look on her face. I couldn’t take it any longer so I grabbed the poster and surprised her with it. I think she almost cried. It reminds me that it’s the little things in life that matters! (I have a picture of her priceless face with the poster) Anyways after the tour he gave us his card and told us to e-mail him if we ever came back and he would have tickets for us. I think I may have to take him up on that!


Following the Arena we got a tour on what was called a castle. I like to think of it more as a mansion because there was no dungeon or mote or dragon. The guide’s story really didn’t make sense and they kept telling us not to touch anything because it was all antique and preserved yet they ended up admitting that only one piece of furniture in the entire place was original. So what are you preserving? I wasn’t much of a fan and I think I would have appreciated it more had I been an architecture major or something. I do have to say the marble staircase was a gorgeous site.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the lock bridge. It is a bridge that as a couple you put a lock on the bridge and it is a symbol of staying together forever. You throw the key to the lock into the Rhine River. I got some pretty cool pictures and I have some on Facebook and here.



I think we are all planning to go out tonight since all we are doing tomorrow is presenting our projects and then we leave for Prague for four days! So if you don’t hear from me that is why but I will take notes while I am there so I don’t forget to include it in my blog when I come back! Missing America but definitely enjoying the Deutschland! 

No comments:

Post a Comment